work with us.
Director of Special Projects
More Art is hiring a part time Director of Special Projects for 3-4 days per week.
ABOUT MORE ART
More Art is a New York City based public art organization. We provide commissioning opportunities, strategic project support, mentorship, educational programs and artistic development resources for artists at all stages of their career. We commission artistic and social engagement collaborations that result in site-specific projects exhibited in public spaces. It is through our dynamic relationship with artists, neighbors, community organizations, public agencies, and advocates that we create unique public art that reflects artistic rigor and social impact. More Art is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit currently based in lower Manhattan. To learn more about the organization please visit our website: http://www.moreart.org
The Director of Special Projects is responsible for shaping More Art’s public-facing presence, working closely with staff to facilitate communications and public programs, including fundraising initiatives, the Engaging Artists Fellowship Program, and public art projects.
The position reports directly to the Executive Director and will work closely with the Communications and Programs Assistant, Artistic Coordinator, Curatorial Manager, and Special Projects Advisor, providing administrative, programmatic, and logistical support while ensuring effective and efficient operations for all communications and public programs.
The candidate should have a collaborative nature, great organizational skills, self-motivation and the ability to multitask. Familiarity with arts activism, social practice art, and community-based public art are all prerequisites. The position requires an open, caring, and hospitable disposition, as well as the ability to set boundaries. The candidate must have advanced computer and digital skills. The ideal candidate is a practicing artist, organizer, or arts educator with experience building interdisciplinary partnerships and/or community organizing.
- Work with the Executive Director, Staff, Board of Directors, and Special Projects Advisor to strategize, shape, produce and lead the ongoing programming strategy and implementation.
- Manage all audio visual and technology components needed for programs such as virtual events, workshops, fundraising events, in person panel discussions, and more.
- Keep current, knowledgeable and up-to-date on all events and programs at More Art and the field of socially-engaged art, speaking to the overall mission of More Art to the public.
- Collect program data and craft program feedback/evaluations, track and share issues and trends with staff.
- Work as a public ambassador of More Arts programs and collaborative methodology.
- Support Executive Director and staff on all fundraising initiatives, including the biennial gala, salon dinner series, membership drives, and cultivation events.
- Direct and manage annual fundraising campaigns including all outreach, creation of collateral material, and budget tracking.
- Cultivate new individual donors.
- Manage hospitality for all fundraising and programmatic events including sourcing catering, food/beverage and staffing.
- Assist and strategize with Executive Board members to develop and maintain individual and organizational fundraising goals.
- Manage and track donor data including contact details, donation amounts and communication in Salesforce.
- Manage Advisory Board communication, meetings and strategy.
- Participate in all public-facing More Art events.
- Collaborate on the creation and execution of communications and outreach strategy for the organization, maintaining brand identity for all programs, events, and general outreach in close collaboration with the Communications and Programs Assistant and staff.
- Work with the designer (Communications and Programs Assistant) to craft and design communication materials and printed matter including brochures, signage, Powerpoint presentations, reports, advertisements, email newsletters, website pages/posts, and more.
- Direct public relations campaigns in collaboration with staff and outside press officers.
- Assist with the redesign and ongoing maintenance and updates of the More Art website.
- Oversee and coordinate More Art’s mailing lists and outreach platforms.
- Develop program descriptions for website, communications materials and press releases.
- Provide additional assistance to the Executive Director and staff as needed.
- At least three to five years experience in non-profit arts programming, development and/or art management
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills (Spanish language skills a plus)
- Strong digital skills, proficient in social media, email marketing, virtual and website platforms (eg. WordPress, Mailchimp, Salesforce, Zoom, Facebook)
- Skills in graphic design, photography, and video are a plus.
- Ability to work evenings and occasional weekends.
- Excellent skills in project management.
This role is a part time permanent position, 3 or 4 days per week with a salary of $36,000+ commensurate with experience & time commitment. Healthcare options and flexible paid vacation time are offered.
This position is well suited for an arts-professional who is looking for a consistent institution-based position in arts organizing that supports their long-term career goals and independent projects. We also encourage applications from artists who occupy administrative roles in addition to their arts production practice.
The position is currently primarily virtual with occasional in-person work to provide support for in-person programmatic activities, workshops, meetings and events around NYC. The position will evolve into an in-person/in-office position in early 2022. Working hours are flexible but must be available for weekly (virtual) staff meetings and during the week for additional meetings. This position is responsible for attending all public events.
If you are interested in the position, please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org, in a single PDF document:
- Cover letter demonstrating your interest in the position, your relevant experience, your interest in working with community organizations and people of all ages on public art projects.
- 1 Writing sample (press release, academic article, journalistic writing)
- Names and contact information for 3 professional references
No Calls please.
More Art is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, and people with disabilities to apply.
Volunteering is an awesome way to get involved with More Art’s art projects that take place in public spaces across NYC. Interested candidates should send a letter of interest and a resume to: email@example.com.